Sunday, October 23, 2011

New York Cheesecake: A delicious low-carb dessert recipe

It has been a while since I have posted a recipe - things have been a little interesting around here lately.  We found out I was pregnant in late May with our little boy scheduled to arrive in early February.  Then, if that wasn’t exciting enough, I also was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (GD).  For those who are unfamiliar with it, this is a pregnancy-related diabetes where the placenta produces hormones that result in insulin-resistance in the mother.  Though it has its risks, it is incredibly manageable, but does have a pretty specific diet you have to follow.


When you are a foodie like me, adjusting to a diet with strict carb limits and being told you have to eat six times a day and each of those meals has to have a certain number of carbs, proteins, and fats, tests your culinary abilities!  I have adjusted pretty well to the diet, I can even drink coffee without sugar now, but I couldn’t fathom the idea of going 6 months without dessert!  I was on a mission to figure out something I could make that was low-carb, high protein and would fit in a serving size of one of my many meals.  A little tweaking to the normal Philadelphia Cheesecake recipe and I found a delicious, creamy, low-carb dessert that I can have occasionally and still watch my blood sugars.  Those who don’t have to watch their blood sugars probably wouldn’t even notice a difference.


These slices are normal-sized portions (no skimpy serving here).  The calories may not be the lowest, but it is great for an occasional treat (nutrition information included after the recipe).  I sliced mine and froze it separated so I could pull out a single piece when I really needed a treat.  I don't like fake sugars, so I used the real-deal.  If you want to substitute with Splenda, you could increase the cheesecake “sugar” to 1 cup and the crust to 3 Tbsp and that would lower your carb/sugar count even more. Enjoy!


Crust:

Ingredients:
1 cups almond meal/flour 
1/2 cup of coconut flour 
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar 


Directions:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter, mix the ingredients, and pat into place in 13” x 9” pan (or a spring-form pan - see below). Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. Watch closely as it nears the end of cooking time so it doesn’t overcook.  Set aside to cool.

Notes: Almond meal is just ground almonds - you can make your own in a food processor.  If you buy it, I like Bob's Red Mill.  If you don't have coconut flour, you can use all almond meal.


Cheesecake:

Ingredients:
5 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened - I use 3 Neufchatel (low fat) & two regular.
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. almond meal (or coconut flour, whole wheat flour, or all-purpose flour)
1-2 Tbsp.vanilla (I use 2 Tbsp for more flavor)
1 cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream (Breakstone is my go-to)
4 eggs


Directions:
Heat oven to 325°F.
Beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, almond meal and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended. Pour over crust in 13" x 9" pan.
Bake 40 min. or until center is almost set. Cool completely. Refrigerate 4 hours (overnight is best for flavor and texture).


How to Bake in Spring-form Pan
Heat oven to 325ºF if using 9-inch spring-form pan (or to 300ºF if using a dark nonstick 9-inch spring-form pan). Prepare batter as directed; pour into pan. Bake 1 hour 10 min. or until center is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim.  Optional: I like to add a couple of layers of foil around the outside/bottom of the spring-form pan just in case of any leaks.
I used a 10 inch spring-form pan and it took about the same amount of time as the 9 inch pan.


Nutrition if cut into 12 slices: Calories 475; Total Fat 35.6g; Sat. Fat 20g; Cholesterol 170mg; Sodium 416mg; Carb. 21.4g; Fiber 1.8g; Sugars 17.2g; Protein 12.4g

Interpretation of Philadelphia Cream Cheese New York Cheesecake Recipe: http://w3.kraftbrands.com/philly/recipes/Pages/Recipe-Detail.aspx?recipeId=51183


Freezing instructions: Let the cheesecake rest in the refrigerator overnight for best flavor/texture.  Slice the cheesecake into portions and place apart on cookie sheet.  Place in freezer 8 hours or overnight.  Place frozen slices in ziploc bag.  To defrost, you can place in the fridge overnight, leave a slice on the counter for about an hour, or defrost in your microwave at 20% power for about 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment