Sunday, July 1, 2007

Bananas too ripe? Like Smoothies?

No matter how many bananas I buy, I never seem to be able to eat them all before at least one of two gets riper than I like. Since I hate throwing away perfectly good food, I wanted to find another use for the ripe bananas. Instead of tossing them, I peel them, cut them into 1 inch chunks, and place in a single layer in a ziploc bag. Put them in the freezer, still in the single layer, and let them freeze overnight. Once they are frozen, you can break up the layer and store the bag anywhere in the freezer.

So, now you have frozen bananas. What are you supposed to do with them? Smoothies! Use the bananas instead of ice cubes. They add the cold and a wonderful creaminess to a smoothie. Toss in some yogurt, honey, some berries, maybe a little cinnamon, and blend (add a little milk if its too thick). ENJOY! And feel good about not throwing away perfectly edible food!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you, no matter how green the bananas are when I buy them, I can never seem to get them all finished before a few turn all dotted and dark! I freeze them, too, from time to time (it gets so darn HOT out here in Vegas during the summers, I will eat them as frozen pops)

    Plus, if they get too ripe, too quick on you, you can always make some banana nut bread- my mom used to make loaves and loaves and store in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete